Want to spice of your meals? One of the hottest condiments brands, UmamiPapi, has released a gluten-free and vegan chilli oil will blow your taste buds away! Here is recipe for delicious (and spicy!) beef short ribs.
Beef Umami Short Ribs
1.5kg beef short ribs
1 brown onion
4 cloves garlic
1 knob ginger
1 red chilli pepper
4 star anise
1 cinnamon bark
1 tsp five spice powder
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp hoi sin sauce
2 tsp brown sugar
2 tbsp UmamiPapi Chilli Oil
1 litre chicken stock
1 bunch coriander
1. Preheat the oven to 160 degrees Celsius.
2. In a large casserole pot (safe for oven use) add cooking oil and turn the stove to high heat.
3. Once heated, add the short ribs and cook on all sides until you achieve a nice brown caramelisation. Remove the beef ribs.
4. Slice the onion, garlic, ginger and red chilli and add to the casserole pot on low heat (except for the red chilli).
5. Once they have caramelised, add the five spice, soy sauce, hoi sin, brown sugar, UmamiPapi Chilli Oil, star anise and cinnamon bark and mix.
6. Add the chicken stock and beef ribs back into the pot and bring to a boil. Once boiling, cover with the lid and place it in the oven for 2 hours.
7. After 2 hours, remove the pot from the oven, place it on the stove and take the lid off. 8. Turn the stove on high heat and allow the sauce to reduce down to a gravy-like consistency (about 10 minutes depending on how much liquid there is).
9. Remove the beef ribs from the pot and serve on a plate. Use a ladle to add the gravy from the pot onto the beef ribs.
10. Garnish with coriander leaves and the sliced red chilli. Serve with Asian greens (Bok Choy or Chinese broccoli) and steamed rice. Enjoy!
Recipe by Ethan Yong for condiments brand UmamiPapi