Do you cleanse your skin too often? And skip using sunscreen on a rainy day? These are common mistakes many women make, and are actually harming your precious skin barrier. Here are the top 7 skin care mistakes people make – and why you should avoid them.
1. WASHING YOUR SKIN TOO MUCH: Many of us believe we will have squeaky clean skin if we wash our face several times a day. But over washing weakens your skin’s barrier, leaving it susceptible to irritants and Australia’s harsh climate. Instead, simply rinse your face with lukewarm water in the morning, and use a gentle cleanser at night. The only exception to this rule is if you are experiencing breakouts; then use a gentle cleanser in the morning and night. But no more!
2. WEARING THE WRONG MAKEUP: How often do you look at the ingredients of your make-up before you buy it? The wrong make-up can block your pores and cause breakouts. If you have oily skin or are prone to break-outs, choose products labelled non-comedogenic or non-acnegenic.
3. USING EXPIRED BEAUTY PRODUCTS: We are all guilty of this, especially when we have saved for months for our favourite product. But expired products can seriously wreak havoc on your skin, causing strange reactions, rashes, irritation and inflammation. Close your eyes and just throw them in the bin!
4. OVER LAYERING: A good skin care routine means using products which compliment each other, not layering many different products on your skin. Your daily skin care regime only needs four to five steps at the most.
5. SKIPPING UV PROTECTION: Many of us just apply sunscreen when it’s sunny – but sunscreen should be applied every morning, even it if is wet and rainy outside. Not using sunscreen leads to premature skin ageing such as wrinkles, discolouration and cell damage.
6. PICKING AT YOUR SKIN: We are all guilty of squeezing a pimple or two! But not only can this lead to scarring, it can cause more breakouts as your hands will be covered in unwelcome bacteria. No matter how tempting, leave that pimple alone!
7: CHANGING YOUR PRODUCTS: You need to give your skin care routine 28 days to see the results before you decide it doesn’t work for you. Results will never show overnight, as you need consistent application. Be patient and you will be rewarded!
Nina Gajic is the founder of Skin Virtue, an Australian range of skincare products designed for people with sensitive skin, but suitable for all skin types. Find out more at skinvirtue.com.au